Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to what is, according to Google, the only blog in the entire Internet devoted to the Atlantic Sun Conference. We will pay special attention to basketball teams, but will take a look at other sports as the opportunity arises.

You'll notice a lot of statistics on this site, for several reasons. One, I'm an inveterate numbers geek. Two, I'm a cheapskate, so I rely on box scores and stat sheets to compensate for the fact that I live too far away to see many games. Three, there is a lot in the numbers that doesn't often get discussed, especially in a conference as small as the A-Sun.

In particular, when we discuss basketball, you'll see a couple of stats I call "PEG" and "PEP." "PEP" stands for "Positive Events per Possession" and "PEG" is "Positive Events per Game." These are in the tempo-free family of stats. On other sites (Basketball Prospectus, BBState, etc.) look for the word "Efficiency" and you'll get the idea.

I'm hoping to post a team-by-team preview of the season in the next couple of weeks. (Maybe a team a day, or one team per post, or something else). That said, I also have a full-time job and two other blogs, so if things aren't as regular as you might like hang with me. I'll do the best I can.

Off we go.

No comments: